Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pattern Challenge: Sleeveless Blouse

I'm on my way to meeting my 1st goal.  I just finished my pattern 2593 Simplicity by Cynthia Rowley.  I did the sleeveless version with folded neck band.  I used a sateen ( I think) fabric.  This was tricky to work with. Very slippery.  I think next time I work with this fabric I will use a rotary cutter so I can have more control as I cut around the pattern pieces.  This was a pretty easy pattern and came together real fast and I'm sure it's super easy for the experienced out there.  My skills are improving with each pattern I do.  I had a little trouble with doing the binding around the arm holes and neck hole but this was a good learning experience.

Here it is!
It's a little difficult to see the twist of the neck band in the pictures because of the pattern.

 

  

  

 
I wore it to work today with a black bolero and some pearls. Cute huh?

7 comments:

Suzie said...

Oh this top is lovely! The fabric you chose is gorgeous. Well done!

sewbeeit said...

This looks really nice. I'd like to try this pattern. I like how it could be dressed up or down. Thanks for reviewing it.

Sarah Seitz said...

This is ADORABLE!!! I need this pattern! Ahh, I'm finding too many new patterns that I want to try!! You did an awesome job!

Kari said...

Hi there! I'm doing the pattern challenge as well and am in the process of making this same pattern but view C. Any tips on getting the "twisty" parts to lay right? I'm confused...Thanks!

Kari said...

Oh, and your stop came out ADORABLE!! Nice job with the sateen.

rhilborn said...

I second the question on the neck piece. As I commented on Flikr, I've made this pattern in the same view and the neck piece was too heavy! It could have just been my cotton fabric. I'm also curious about your staystitching and your process with the neck piece in general.

Kristie said...

The neck piece was very tricky. I think I twisted it one more time than what was recommended. I played around with this for awhile. I think with each fabric type you would have to see if tighter or looser twists would get your desired look.
To attach the neck piece: I started at one of the shoulders and used a slip stitch on the bottom layer of the tube of the neck piece. I sewed on both sides of the tube to really secure it to the shoulder. I continued around the neck while adjusting the twists how I liked them and then sewing them in place. I hope that helps some of you. If not, send me an email. I'd be happy to try and answer your questions.