Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Scarves

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!  Hope your day was special.

For my mom and mother-in-law I made them a Summer Scarf, following the tutorial from



This scarf is really easy to make once you hem the edges.  It was a little difficult working with the fabric I chose.  It was a silky polyester and wouldn't crease when I ironed over the edges so I just had to eye ball it when sewing the 1/2 inch hem.  This is when I really wish I had a serger to finish off edges.    The fun part was sewing with elastic thread.  I had never used it before and it was fun to see the fabric bunch up.

 
I was a bit disappointed with how short the scarves ended up being.  With the elastic they shrank more than half their original length (128").  Oh well, they still add some fun ruffel-y-ness around the neck.  I think both my mothers liked them.

 


 I love you mom and Judy!

3 comments:

Megan said...

cute. I'm sure they were thrilled.

cheryl said...

I got that exact same fabric to make a scarf for the teacher I worked with this year. My mom has a surger....if she surges the edges, do you think it will be easy to do? I was a bit nervous about it because it was so light. It looks great. You have inspired me to go for it and try it. Thank you!!!

Kristie said...

Cheryl-
Yes, I think it will be easy and look great with the edges surged. Go for it!