Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pattern Challenge: Chiffon Pleated t-shirt

I completed the t-shirt!  I'm so excited it turned out well.  I was a little discouraged the first time I made the neckline.  I made a binding from the fabric and attached it with some chiffon all around.  Even though I used a stretch stitch the neckline looked way too big.  I ripped it out and tried a different method.  This time a used a zig zag stitch all the way around then folded the neckline toward the inside.  I then attached the chiffon from the inside and the neckline didn't stretch out. 
Here is a before picture and the after shots:
Ugly stretched out neckline




New neckline and added chiffon pleats
I love my new t-shirt.  It's so comfy and soft.  I think I can wear it casual or dressed up.  The chiffon was left over from the Can-Can Skirt I made for Avery's 1st Birthday outfit.  It's nylon chiffon from: http://www.afc-express.com/nylon-chiffon.html
I entered my shirt in Made by Rae's Spring Top Week.  It's not a flashy shirt but I like simple and feminine.

I also participated in Andrea's (from The Train to Crazy) "Make it, Wear it" blog party. 
It's so fun to see what everyone else has made.  Go check it out!


6 comments:

Sarah Seitz said...

OK, it's SOOO cute! I love the fit (perfect) and the fabric is great! And the chiffon accents make it even better! Love this one, Kristie!!

Anonymous said...

Kristie, it is so cute and fits well. love love it. I have yet to try sewing with knit material but after seeing yours, i am going to start mine soon

Kristie said...

Thanks for the compliments ladies! Before I started I was a little scared to work with knit but if you use a stretch stitch, everything works out. Neeto!

With love, Traci said...

Oh that is sew cute!!! I can't wait to see it on you! I want to feel the fabric too!!! Oh and I can't wait to see Averys matching shirt or dress what ever to match!!! Love you and miss you like crazy!!!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

It is so cute! It looks great on you!

I have a weekly blog party especially to share all things made to be worn. Stop on by if you're interested in seeing what people make or linking your own projects!

Jessica said...

Hi Kristie,

I found your blog through Rae's contest and I love seeing all the patterns you pick to try. This shirt is one of my favorites on your blog!! It looks like it fits so well! Great job!

I'll be voting for you on the contest!!! Best of luck! And nice meeting you :)

Jessica