Friday, September 10, 2010

Report on Wardrobe Contest

Well, I think it's about time that I report on how I did on my work for the Wardrobe Contest.  We had such a good time enjoying our summer vacation that it was hard to complete all 10 items.  I was able to finish 3 1/2 items.  I was sad that I didn't meet my goal of being able to enter this contest.  Here are my items:

Top #1
Simplicity 2696
  This was a frustrating top but I like how it turned out and I wear it often.  (Blogged here.)



Bottom #1: Skirt

Simplicity 2413

Pattern Description: Misses' skirts, each in two lengths

Pattern Sizing: D5 4,5,8,10,12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Pretty much, but I sized mine to fit on my lower waist. I think this was a wrong decision.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very clear and easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really like having the pockets and they were easy to make. I also like the full skirt feel. It's fun to wear and makes me feel feminine.

Fabric Used: stretch sateen (love it!)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As I was fitting as I sewed, I realized the waist was going to be too tight and I should have made a size bigger. I made some alterations and decided I would feel more comfortable all day at work if the skirt sat lower on my waist. After seeing the pictures of the finished skirt, I realize this was not a flattering decision. It makes me look like I either have no waist or a wide waist.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will definitely sew this again and highly recommend this to others.

Conclusion: Cute skirt that was easy to make and will be a great staple in my wardrobe.  I plan to alter this skirt so it will sit higher on my waist to make it a bit more flattering.


Here I am looking like I have no waist.  Bad alteration decision, still need to fix this.

Top #2: 
Simplicity 2925
 I haven't written a review on PatternReview.com for this one yet.
Back view

Top is made from silk-like material and the belt and shoulder straps are silk.

 I was not happy with how this top turned out.  It looks like a silky paper bag with a belt.  I think I should have made the view with sleeves.  I think I hate those straps.  The material is really pretty and feels so nice.  I didn't put in the back zipper as the pattern recommends.  It makes it kinda tricky to put on but it works.  I just make sure to put makeup on after I put the top on.
This is how I wore it to a baby shower.  I think I wore a different black sweater that was shorter and 3/4 length sleeves.  I like this look for work.

Free Choice:  Dress
Butterick 5455
I haven't written a review on PatternReview.com for this one yet either. This is my almost 4th item.  This is a semi-fitted straight dress.  I really like how this has turned out so far.  It's made from a silk-like material and the contrast band was made with the same black sateen as the skirt above.  I still need to hem the bottom and hand sew the sleeves.  I had to do some alterations for small shoulders and let out the waist a bit.  I think I'm improving a tiny bit in mixing two sizes of patterns to get my fit (smaller on top and and bigger on the bottom.)  I know, I know, hand sewing=yuck.  I tried three times to figure out how to machine sew the arm holes with the lining, but it was impossible.  How do you turn it right side out afterward?  Impossible I say!  But since then, I have found tutorials on how to do it.  Aw well.  I'm not about to rip out seams for the 4th time.  I'll just hand sew.
I love the fit and the fact that it has pockets.  I'll model in it when I get the finishing touches done. Hmmm, where to wear this?  Anniversary coming in October.....


So, almost 4 items out of 10.  I guess it's not too shabby for a novice and mom of a 1 1/2 year-old.

1 comment:

Sarah Seitz said...

Seriously, they are all great!! I can't wait to see the dress finished, I think it will be fabulous. Nice work!!